Punjabi Dhabe Walli Dal
I love all dals… I remember growing up to eating a different dal everyday of the week, there is moong, channa, urad, masoor, arhar (toor), moth and so many more… I also remember never remembering their names and telling mum by color and shape as to what dal we want to eat today. And among that is one dal which stands out as a favourite for me… most favourite and its the Punjabi dhabe walli dal. So the other day when I was tweeting my lunch menu and it was a part of it, I got so many requests for its recipe.. So here is it for all my twitter pals
What I used
- 1 cup channa dal
- 1/2 cup split black urad
- 2 medium size onions chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 2 flakes of garlic (optional my mum never used it)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
How I made it
- Wash and boil the dals well along with salt and turmeric. The way I boil my dal is pressure cook it. After one whistle lower the flame and cook it for 10 minutes but you can choose to cook it on full too. I think it should be done in 5-6 whistles
- Wait for the steam to leave the cooker. Till than start preparing the tadka or the seasoning
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds till they turn a little brown
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden brown in color
- Add tomatoes and all the dry masalas expect garam masala at this stage. Saute till the tomatoes are done and start leaving a little oil.
- Add the tadka to the dal and boil for 4-5 minutes, add garam masala and boil for 1/2 minute just to ensure its mixed
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot. According to me it goes best with tandoori paranthas and bharwan karela…. but is yummy with just about everything
Check out what my fellow foodie marathon buddies are upto? Priya Suresh,Jay, Valli, PJ, Priya Vaasu, Azeema, Reva,Ayeesha,Veena&Soumya.
Also I am sending this to MLLA 31 event started by Susan
Looks yum! I luvvv dal in most forms 😉 Must try this soon 🙂
do try it out swaram I love this one
Mons you can tempt me always with such treats..looks so good..
thank u so much valli
I am going to try this dal for sure! Thanks for the recipe!
Wow!!love the colour. I love any type of dal. sure to try this out
Very inviting dal..
Wow! This looks very delicious, a must try recipe
Wow a delicious recipe with chana dhal..
Very Tempting Monika!!!! I too try to cook different dals for my Kid!!! never used Black urad dal b4!!! Bookmarking this!!!!!
Such a comforting dal..soo yummy..
Monika, I am insanely in love with ur blog..!! I am trying out this dal for dinner tonight along with karela fry… will let u know how it turns out…
I have never tried black urad.Should try it when the 100 other daals in my pantry get over:D
Always a delight, isn’t it!
making this right now…thanks for the savory treats recipes…you should do a series on simple every day dals also…i am getting bored of making the same ones everyday.. 😦
Made this todayMon, and it is delicious! Everytime I run out of inspiration, I come here and try one of your dshes – guaranteed perfection 🙂
Pingback: Remembering Badi Mummy and Channa Dal Stuffed Karelas | Sin-A-Mon Tales
Pingback: Menu of the week 14th Sep and Recipe for Ragi Vermicelli | Sin-A-Mon Tales