Menu of the week 10th Aug & Recipe of Rongi
A new week is here and along with here is the menu of this week.
Also some days ago I had posted a picture of one my comfort foods from Delhi days on instagram (are you following me yet? click here to follow: https://instagram.com/monikamanchanda/). Rongi is essentially black eyed beans also knowns as lobhia and in punjabi fondly called rongi. When I was small I used to call it “Chota Rajma”. A bowl of rice, rongi, a spoon of curd and some salad can make any punjabi’s day. So here is the recipe that a lot of you asked for on insta
Recipe : Rongi (Punjabi style black eyes beans curry)
- 1 cup black eyed beans, washed and soaked for an hour
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera seeds
- 1 large onion grated
- 2 large tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Handful of coriander leaves for garnish
- Cook the washed, soaked black eyed beans with salt, turmeric and about 2 cups of water for about 12 mins in a cooker on simmer after the first whistle. While the steam is releasing, make the curry base for the same
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add the jeera seeds and fry till brown. Add the grated onions and fry till they turn golden brown for about 5 mins. Continue stirring at this point since it might get burnt fast.
- Add tomato puree and continue cooking till the oil leaves the side. At this point add the dry masalas and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the boiled beans along with water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add more water it the gravy feels very thick.
- Serve with steamed or jeera rice, salad and a spoon of curd