So in the earlier post I promised you Tomato Saar recipe, without further delay and my usual stories here is the recipe
Recipe : Tomato Saar
Serves : 4
What I used
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tbsp crushed peppercorns
- 1 tsp jeera jeera powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- salt to taste
For the tadka
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 6-7 curry leaves
How I made it
- Blanch the tomatoes in a big bowl of water, make slight incisions on one side of the tomatoes so it is easier for you to peel them later. Boil till the skin starts cracking up, this will take about 6-8 minutes
- Remove the tomatoes and dip them in cold water and retain the water in which you boiled it.
- Remove the skin of the tomatoes and puree them well. My house help from Dharward tells me that they just hand mash the tomatoes and that is the best way to make the saar so I follow the same
- Heat oil in a pan and add the jeeera seeds and fry till they turn slightly brown, add the curry leaves and mashed tomatoes. Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add salt, jeera powder, tamarind or lemon juice and 2 cups of water.
- Boil for 6-8 minutes till cooked
- Serve hot with masala baath or steamed rice or as a soup