Desi Health Bites : Chettinad Fish Curry
This is the second post in the series for Fortune Rice bran oil and this time I attempted a Chettinad Fish Curry.
A bit about Fortune Rice Bran Oil again,
Enhances the immune system: Antioxidants improve health by fighting free radicals that harm the immune system. Fortune Rice Bran Health oil has natural antioxidants that help build strong immunity.
Darker Oils aren’t good for health. It is a myth that colourless or transparent oils are healthier than dark oils. FRBH is refined optimally to keep all the essential micronutrients ntact. It has a darker appearance primarily due to Oryzanol.
Recipe : Chettinad Fish Curry
Serves : 3-4
- 1 1/2 inch ball of tamarind
- 3 tbsp Fortune Rice Bran Oil
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 10-15 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp chilli powder (non spicy, I use kashmiri chilli)
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 500 gms king fish or seer fish sliced
- Salt to taste
To be ground together as paste 1
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 5-10 black peppercons
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
To be ground together as paste 2
- 8-10 shallots (small onions)
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- Make the paste 1 by grinding all the ingredients mentioned under “To be ground together as paste 1” together till it has turned into a smooth paste. If it is very dry, use little water but keeping it to minimum possible
- Make the paste 2 by grinding together all the ingredients mentioned under “To be ground together as paste 2”, this paste need not to be as smooth as paste 1
- In a small bowl, mix together the tamarind with warm water to make tamarind paste. You can alternatively also use store bought tamarind paste (3 tbsp)
- Heat a medium sized kadai (I like to make this curry in a mud pot but a normal steel kadai works fine as well). Add the Fortune Rice Bran Oil to the kadai and heat till it is just below smoking hot. Add fenugreek seeds and fry till they start changing color. Add garlic and shallots. Fry for 3-4 minutes. At this point add paste 1. Mix well and fry for 5 minutes or so
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Stir till mixed well and add the paste 2 stirring it well so that it is incorporated with the existing mixture. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, tomato and salt and continue to stir. Cook till the oil starts separating from the masalas and it turns into a darker shade of brown. This will take about 5 minutes
- Now add the tamarind water, along with about 1/2 more cup of hot water and boil for 5-6 minutes till the raw smell of tamarind is gone.
- Slowly add the fish slices and cook till the fish is opaque and cooked, this will take about 5minutes or so.
- Serve hot with rice and appalam
This blogpost is in association with Fortune Foods as a part of their Desi Health Bites activity– The Hunt for the Best Rice Bran Oil Recipes. For more updates and healthy recipes using Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil, follow Fortune Foods on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FortuneFoods and on Twitter at @fortunefoods (https://twitter.com/FortuneFoods).