World Nuttela Day – Nutella Banana Fantails
Nutella (Proper Noun) – The only reason to buy bread
The above qoute is something I totally believe, Nutella according to me indeed can bring world peace 😉
I know this post is really delayed but when I looked at my drafts I felt like posting it anyways… I am gonna keep it short and crisp, I baked these for the World Nutella Day on Feb 5th
Like I said I am gonna keep this post short and sweet and come down to the recipe straight 🙂
Recipe – Nutella Banana Fantails
source – Cupcake Project
Makes about 12 normal size cupcakes or 8 jumbos
What I used
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 over-ripe banana, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vinegar (a tip I picked up from chinamye’s blog)
How I made it
- Mix in flour, cinnamon powder, salt, buttermilk, and butter. Stir until the dough starts to come together.
- Add the yeast, sugar, vinegar and warm water to the above
- Start kneading the dough and knead it until the dough is smooth and elastic, I like to knead it either on the countertop of using the dough hook of my machine. If you use the countertop and knead by hand it will take about 8-10 minutes of kneading. In the machine you need to knead for about 5 minutes.
- At the end nicely oil the dough and keep in a bowl, cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled in size (mine took about an hour and 20 minutes)
- Once the dough has risen, punch the dough down and knead again for about 2 minutes, leave it for resting for about 5-10 mins.
- Now roll the dough into a rectangle and cut into even strips. (just like we did for the tomato butter and bacon bread)
- Spread Nutella on top of the first strip. Spread chopped bananas, Top with second strip and repeat with all the other strips
- Cut the layered dough into 12 sections of equal length (if using the normal pan)
- Turn each section onto its side and place into a depression in a greased cupcake tin.
- Leave the cupcake tin in a warm place and let the dough rise for another hour or so
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until it begins to brown.
- Serve warm.
The little green paper you see there is a boat O made and asked me to put it there as a food prop 😉
And ow I will tell you my secret tip/indulgence… when the jar of Nutella becomes empty like this I pour a couple of milk in it, a dash of cinnamon powder, heat it in the microwave and yes gulp it down before anyone sees me 😀