Muffin Monday | Crusty Cheese and Onion muffins
I love muffins and I love savory muffins even more 😀 There is something about them which is so warm and comforting. So when this week A sent a mail mentioning that we are baking Crusty Cheese and Onion muffins I knew I had to bake them along and I am glad I did these were loved by anyone in the house and made for an excellent Sunday breakfast. I did make a couple of changes though… made the savory more healthy by using whole wheat plus I didn’t have chive so I used fresh parsley instead
It was amazing how light the texture of muffins was inspite of the fact that mine had more whole wheat in them than atta. If you like savory muffins trust me this one is a must try
Recipe – Crusty Cheese and Onion Muffins
Servings – about 6 jumbo muffins
What I used
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 20 grams butter
- 1 teaspoon water, approximately
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium (150g) onion, halved and sliced
- 13/4 cups self raising flour ( I used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup maida and 1 teaspoon baking powder)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives ( I used a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 11/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
How I made it
- Place the all purpose flour in a small bowl and rub in the butter, mix in just enough water to bind ingredients. Press dough into a ball, cover, freeze about 30 minutes or until firm
- Preheat the oven to 200C . Grease a 6 hole (3/4 cup deep) muffin tray.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, add onion, cook, stirring, until soft and lightly brown. Set aside to cool.
- Sift self raising and extra flour into a large bowl, stir in half the onion, half the cheese and all of the chives, then egg, buttermilk and extra oil
- Spoon Mixture into prepared tray. Grate frozen dough into a small bowl, quickly mix in remaining onion and cheese. Sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake muffins for about 25 minutes. Serve warm with chive butter ( I served them with garlic butter, my latest craze… its strange how I have come from a garlic hater to a garlic lover :P)
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Absolutely yummy looking muffins…a must try for me. 🙂 Garlic butter is sure yummy too. 🙂
Love that you served them with garlic butter! Great idea!! These muffins sounds great. Happy Monday!
Good for you making these muffins a little more on the healthy side! I opted to go the other direction, adding bacon 😉 Great recipe though – a definite keeper!
WOOOHOOOO! You made it! Glad to have you back M. Your muffins look yum and garlic butter would pair perfectly with these.
Looks yummy muffins!!!!!!Must try soon
Oh yes! Garlic butter a plus! Yours look wonderful 🙂
Can’t believe I am here for the first time Monika!! Love the theme, it looks like a sinful recipe book 🙂 Great pictures too!!! Now let me explore some criminal temptations 😛
I have been looking for a savoury muffin recipe for a while…thanks for sharing this!!
My muffins turned out a bit dry…any tips
what can we use for an eggless version of the muffins.
what can be used instead of eggs?