A chronicle of my kitchen experiments, a little healthy a little indulgent
1. What is your take on organic food , is it a big deal for you ?
A great concept but unfortunately its very expensive so I try and maintain a balance. Try and get veggies and eggs etc organic and the routine grocery the normal and yeah turmeric and honey two things I always always buy only organic
2. Do you time your breakfast,lunch & dinner or eat when you are hungry ?
Well depends on how the day goes. Mostly dinner time is fixed rest whenever I can
3. What inspired you to write a food blog ?
My love for baking and cooking. I started posting recipes on my normal blog and than I feared that it will take over my general personal blog…
4. You try a new recipe and it does not turn out good,what will you do ?
Well you don’t succeed always do u? I try and learn from what went wrong and see if I can re use it somehow if not than it goes to the composting pit
5. Name three ingredients you consciously avoid or eliminate even when the recipe calls for it ?
Can’t really think of anything seriously is there an ingredient I avoid… oil… does deep frying count?
6. Name three things you have to use in most recipes ?
Onions (and I am regretting it now a day sigh with the price), coriander leaves I love the punch they add to the dish and recently garlic.
7. How important is eating meals together as a family to you?
A family that eats together stays together however it easier written than followed but we try and have atleast the dinner meal together
8. You do not like a particular dish at your favorite restaurant, what will you do?
Feedback form thats what its for, I use it or sometime I talk to the chef too
and there was a second set of questions too and now that I am doing it lets do it fully
1. Are you a vegetarian, or have you thought about being one?
Currently I am a non vegetarian. Now here is a story I was a non vegetarian all through my growing up but than one fine day just gave up all of it for about 4 years and than slowly started coming back to it. Currently as the situation stands I can’t resist eggs, fish and prawns. chicken I can avoid and mutton I don’t eat
2. Who inspired you to cook or bake?
My mum, she is the most amazing cook I know of and if I have got any talent or inspiration to cook or bake its from her
3. How do you celebrate Christmas?…or a favorite holiday of your choice?
Once upon a time festivals used to be family matters, I remember the time when it used to be diwali… weeks in advance we would start visiting all our relatives house and they would come to our for exchanging of sweets and gifts, than on the day itself there will be new clothes to wear and lots of sweets to eat. Now over time when we have moved away from the city where family is… festivals are all about friends… so whether its diwali or its xmas or eid its all celebrate by our very good gang getting together eating, chatting and celebrating.. Touch wood
Favourite holiday now thats tough to choose… but yeah favourite destination would be GOA
4. Do you prefer to celebrate New Year’s Eve with friends and/or family, or prefer to ring in the New Year quietly, and privately, at home?
With family and friends with lots of music, food and wine!
5. If someone were to ask you to bring dessert to a party, what would you bring? Store bought, or homemade, and if you were to make homemade, what would you make?
Home Made… I would love to bake something infact. Most of the people are a little afraid of baking and hence I would like to bake a good dessert for them infact we do a lot of potlucks in the group of friends and its more often than not the dessert that I get
6. How will you celebrate your next birthday?
Aaah long way away… if I had such planning skills life would have been totally different
7. Do you have a New Year’s resolution-and will you be sticking to it?
Yeah yeah I did and hopefully will stick to it
An ex-IT person and a corporate slave, now a food entrepreneur, I run Sin-A-Mon which does food consulting and home baking. I love eating and love cooking even more. I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen and trying out new recipes, and sometimes adding something new to the age-old recipe to give it a twist. Cooking and baking is an art and hobby that resulted in my blog Sin-A-Mon Tale and later let to a food enterprise called Sin-A-Mon 1.5 years ago after quitting my 11 year corporate stint in software development and management. Through my home-based boutique baking setup my goal is to bring home baking to everyone. At Sin-A-Mon we also take on food consulting projects like dessert, menu designing and some amount of food writing. We also offer training to restaurants, cafes and individual enthusiasts. Sin-A-Mon also brings workshops to kids to encourage their creativity and pass on an important life skill to them.
Apart from the food part, I also like to do my bit for the society with an online Child Sexual Awareness campaign I run every April http://csaawarenessmonth.com
Personal/Travel Blog: http://monikamanchanda.wordpress.com
Food Blog : http://sinamontales.wordpres.com
Work Website : www.sinamon.in
For food/travel writing or food consulting requirements please email me by clicking below