Choco Walnut Swiss Roll
I love swiss rolls, as a child I remember growing up to it… Black forest cake, butter cream pastries, cream roll (anyone remember those? must make them one of these days) and swiss rolls were the things we grew up on… So when I took up the task of making these, I was pretty nervous and excited…. but it did turn out awesome and we all loved it 🙂
I made it using a chiffon sponge and it was soft spongy and not very heavy… perfect for a swiss roll
For the sponge cake
- Flour 100gms
- Cocoa 15gm
- Baking Powder 3 gm
- Baking Soda a pinch
- Egg Yolk 4-5 depending on how big the egg was
- Sugar Powder 60gm
- Salt a pinch
- Water 75ml
- Oil 60ml
- Egg white 5-6 depending on how big the egg was
- Salt a pinch (yes again)
- Sugar 40gm
For the filling
- Sift flour, cocca powder, baking powder, baking soda twice
- In a deep bowl mix sugar powder, oil, egg yolks, water and slowly mix to blend together till smooth. This can get tricky, dont be too hard and over mix here
- Beat egg whites, sugar and salt till soft peaks are formed
- Blend the egg white meringue into egg yolk mixture slowly making sure not to loose the volume.
- Fold the dry mixture and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into a 12″x15″ tray which has been greased and lined with butter paper, let the batter be only 1/4″ high maximum
- Bake 180C for about 5-6 mins till done. Remember not to over do it as it will loose the spongyness and softness and will become very dry.
- Let it cool completely and using a butter paper roll and let it set for abour 2 hours.
- Open the roll now and spread a layer of truffle cream on top of the cake.
- Spread the whipped cream and walnuts in a very thin layer on top of the truffle cream of make alternate rows to see the design in the final roll as I did
- Roll again and keep it to set in a butter paper for about 2-3 hours.
- Slice and enjoy
Or in my case distribute it to celebrate the Mindful Meanderings brithday…..The blog we love to participate (errr some of u do no?) and watch the fantastic crafty activities…. that turns 1 and she is giving away a lovely painting and distrubuting this swiss roll for her bday might have some effect on the result…. 😉 So go visit her and leave a comment wishing and tell her u came via here 😉