Tomato and Olive Upma
What a way to do fusion I say…. I love olives and I love upma so when I saw this at Sanjeev kapoor’s I knew I had to try it 🙂
and it was yummy and very healthy.. Everyone at home enjoyed it quite a lot
Semolina (rawa/suji) – 1 cup
Tomatoes, chopped – 2 medium
Black olives, sliced (i used green) – 12
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Olive oil – 1 tbsp (the recipe asked for 3 I made it 1)
Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal) – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 5-6
Onion , chopped – 1 large
- Carrot, grated – 1 large (my own addition)
Green chillies, slit – 2
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped – 3 tbspn
- Whisk yogurt with salt and two and half cups of water to make very thin buttermilk. Set aside.
- .Heat olive oil in a kadai (wok), add split black gram and mustard seeds and fry for a minute
- When the mustard seeds begin to splutter add curry leaves, onion, tomatoes, carrots and green chillies and sauté for a minute
- Add rawa and continue to sauté on medium heat for four to five minutes till it is lightly coloured and fragrant.
- Add buttermilk, bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue to cook uncovered, stirring continuously, till all the liquid is absorbed
- Adjust seasoning, cover and cook further for two minutes on very low heat. Add olives and coriander leaves. Stir and cook for a minute. Serve hot.