Savory Semolina Cake
Everyone here knows how much I love baking and everyone here knows how calorie rich baking is and that I am trying to desperately lose some weight… As a result I am always always on the lookout for some healthy baking recipes. So when I stumbled upon this Savory Semolina Cake recipe I knew I had to try it out and I am so glad I did….
It was so nice, a little nutty and crispy from the outside and soft from inside… the taste was like a mix of dhokla and upma… both things the things that I really like…. It was just yum and its fully guilt free
- 1 cup semolina/rava/sooji/cream of wheat [I used the fine variety a little roasted]
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used the proboitic low fat one)
- Salt, sugar (I skipped the sugar alltogether)
- Turmeric a pinch
- 1 tsp baking soda (I used baking powder)
- 1/4 cup water
- Sesame seeds (for topping)
- For Seasoning:
- 1.5 Tbsp oil (I used 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves (I added a handful of curry leaves too)
- 1/3 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 finely chopped green chillies ( I put 2 as ojas after taking out little batter out for ojas)
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- ½ cup shredded carrots (u can use whatever veggies u like or are available)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease a baking pan (I used a loaf pan)
- Take a large bowl and mix together the semolina, yogurt, salt, sugar until incorporated. Let it sit aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, onions, green chillies, ginger until the onions have sautéed. Add the carrot, coriander leaves, and cabbage and cook for a minute or two.
- Add this to semolina mixture and mix well. Add little water if the mixture is thick.
- Add in the baking soda; mix in pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Garnish the top with sesame seeds and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife/toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool Slice into bits and serve as is or along with spicy chutney.
So come have a slice with me 🙂